The skies are sunny and blue. The trees are green and full. The lakes are warm and pristine. The great outdoors are teeming with life. Yes, it’s summertime up in the Eagle River area.
And you don’t want to miss it!
The best way to take advantage of doing the activities you love here is to make a bucket list. Because even though summer is just starting, it won’t be long until the weather cools and the season transitions.
From events and activities to shops and restaurants, the Up North summer bucket list will look a little different for everyone. We put together one as a simple starter pack to get you going on your own list to check out in Eagle River this summer!
Lake Life on The Chain
Some of us would be perfectly content spending all day and night out on the water or right next to it. That’s the lake life. And we’ve got it all summer long. In fact, we’ve got it any season.
What makes our experience different is being on the largest connected chain of 28 freshwater lakes. Anyone who feels like they’ve had enough of one lake can visit another lake without ever leaving the water. Grab a cooler and some friends for all-day entertainment, whether that means fishing, kayaking, or cruising.
Don’t have your own vessel to get around on the chain? No problem! We’ve got rentals available at The Toy Shop of Eagle River, Boat Sport Marine, Watercraft Sales, and Track Side ready to help you. Check out Hawk’s Nest Outfitters for a canoe or kayak.
Downtown Events: Wine, Fireworks, Burgers, Art, Saw Carving, Cars and Trucks!
The Eagle River downtown doesn’t just provide excellent shops and restaurants, it’s a hub for summer events. We couldn’t single one out, so here’s a list of fun events you can attend:
- Sip & Shop Wine Walk on Saturday, June 18: The unofficial kick-off to summer! Attendees are encouraged to round up some friends and shop downtown with a sampling of red and white wines from noon to 5 p.m. Then a summer kick-off party follows from 4 to 7 p.m. with music, food, and drink.
- Party in the Street on Monday, July 4: Celebrate Independence Day in downtown Eagle River with a parade, a downtown party, and fireworks.
- Burger Bash Arts & Crafts Show on Saturday, July 9: Grab a burger, browse local shops, and take in local crafts. Music, family activities, and a burger contest make this a fun downtown event for all ages.
- Artarama Riverwalk Art Show & Sale (50th annual!) on Saturday, July 16: More than 100 juried artists from all over the country showcase their works at this family friendly event. Silent auctions, food, and drinks are available as patrons listen to music while viewing collections.
- Paul Bunyan Fest on Wednesday, August 17: Watch incredible chain saw carving demonstrations, visit arts-n-crafts vendors, and eat a Paul Bunyan-sized beef sandwich with all the fixings at this annual event.
- Eagle River Car & Truck Show on Saturday, August 27: Feast your eyes on some classic car and trucks with a Northwoods backdrop from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Trophies will be awarded in various categories during the downtown summer event.
- Labor Day Arts & Crafts Show on Sunday, September 4: The conclusion to summer includes a huge arts and crafts show in the downtown from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Downtown businesses participate in this annual event with items for sale on tables outside their establishments.
Throughout the summer in Eagle River are widely popular farmers markets on Michigan Street every Wednesday and Sunday. Local and regional farmers, gardeners, and artisans bring their fresh produce, fruit, and crafts to this leisurely activity. It’s the perfect way to make sure you’ve got the right food to help fuel your visit as you knock out another bucket list item. The Wednesday market goes from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Sunday market lasts from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Dining “on” the Water
If you haven’t dined with a lakeview in the Eagle River area, we’d highly encourage a visit sooner than later. There’s something calming, yet vibrant about enjoying the view of water while eating a meal. It’s a great way to connect with nature even if you’d rather not be completely immersed in nature.
It’s no real surprise that you’ll have a buffet of choices with all the lakes in our neck of the woods to take in meal on a waterfront. We even dedicated some space on the website for dining on the water options.
Don’t Miss the Summer Fun!
There is a lot to see and do in the Eagle River area. Be sure to make a bucket list to ensure you cover at least a few the things you want to do in our neck of the woods this summer!
Mother & Daughter Getaway
The Eagle River area isn’t just for the boys. There’s a nice blend of shops, restaurants, and activities that are the perfect recipe for a fun mother/daughter getaway. Check out the Eagle River Field Notes video for some fun ideas!